5/2/09

DVD Review: Bride Wars

Like a lot of women my age, I have a fascination with weddings. I like the whole process, the idea of loving someone so much to want to commit to them, the process of thinking about vows and what that commitment would actually mean. What the service would be like, the party...etc.

I remember the first time that Brian was over and looked at my bookshelf he made a comment like...boy there are a lot of books about weddings. I read a lot of romance novels and a lot of them on my bookshelf happen to be titled stuff like "three brides: no groom"..."groom wanted".

Yep I like weddings...I've liked them ever since second grade when 12 of us girls lined up on the playground to individually marry tom walker. We also spent many hours in our backyard planning and pulling off elaborate storybook weddings for our stuff animals.

I don't think that makes me like some pathetic soul just waiting for my own wedding. While I do have a desire to be married, I know that just won't happen until the right man comes along and so far all of them have just kept walking.

I didn't go to see this in the theater...and so with the sheer idea that I knew I was going to redbox it, I reserved it last night.

Let me start off and say that the movie was okay but not clever enough to be interesting. But I think what didn't sit well with me is the whole idea that best friends would be so evil to each other all over a bunch of silly things like a venue or a date. While I have experienced being a bridesmaid a time or two enough to know the insanity that sometime is apparent when planning a wedding, really...it shouldn't be about such superficial fluff.

And so...I can't say that I even recommend this movie. I give it a 1 2/3 star...it was worth a $1.00 but not a whole lot more than that.

No comments: