Shared a mid-week dinner tonight at Khan's Mongolian BBQ in Richfield.
Just the other day Joel and Sarah were talking about this place so I had a little bit of an idea of what it was about and when Brian suggested it I agreed wholeheartedly, a little bit because I was curious about this place that people talk about and that I had not yet ventured and mostly because sharing life with friends is much better than eating and enduring illness alone.
While I think I'm fairly on the road to recovery, I probably do need to get in to see my doctor before pursuing sharing drinks or chapstick with anyone anytime soon. Not that I've done either with anyone, but in case the issue comes up, I'm kind of cautious anyhow because I wouldn't wish this mono crap on my worst enemy, let alone someone I actually like.
And so back to the doughy tale. I left work on-time and hit traffic on 35-E but made it to Richfield right about 5:30. We sat in the upper alcove and I ordered a rather uninspired peach ice tea (which was way overpriced for what it was in my opinion!)
The appetizer plate was a fried wonton with hot mustard/sweetsour sauce, a chicken wing and a cup of hot/sour soup. I had never had hot/sour soup before and while it had an odd flavor it wasn't all together terrible. (WOW, there's a glowing recommendation?)
The fried wonton wasn't anything really...would have been better with cream cheese in the middle of it but it is dough and it was fried so I ate it and it too wasn't all together terrible, although really how can you go wrong with wonton and frying?
They had a wide variety of meat and veggies and noodles and sauces. I stayed pretty conservative and although I filled my bowl to the brim, compared to the others around me apparently I need to learn how to layer my veggies and meats to better fill the bowl because as the cooks were cooking my pile looked pathetically small to the rest of the piles.
I guess I shouldn't complain because I could barely finish what I did take and it was tasty. Better than other mongolian bbq I've had elsewhere.
Probably in part because of the peanuts...they were good too and they had hosin sauce, which from a sodium level is probably not the greatest but mmmmmmmmm it was good.
And then the end, was a piece of steamed dough with a sesame sugar center. I could have had a few of those...although I'm sure one is more than plenty.
The fortunes were rather lackluster - something about listening for opportunities at work...really?
I did not beat a gong for good luck, and while I probably will regret not doing that later, the thought of a mid-week dinner and company of a man who makes me smile is enough for tonight.
3 comments:
Alesha and I went to Khan's last summer. We were definitely underwhelmed. For double the price of other places, we thought the food might be more than marginally better. Although I could have eaten many more of those doughy things. Mmmm... dough...
We only went up once and although I didn't see the check it should have only been $10.25 per person which I didn't think was that bad for dinner as compared to Atlantic Buffet which was 12. (And most assuredly better than the *gulp* $19.00 buffet I had a few sunday's ago at tinnucci's)
I enjoyed the selection of meat and veggies and the stir fried/bbq was better than I've had elsewhere but I was underwhelmed by the appetizer plate.
We have actually eaten at the Richfield location in the past, and from what I can remember, enjoyed that location better than the one Nick and I ate at last summer. I have a hard time with a lot of Mongolian BBQ's since my first experience was a BD's Mongolian BBQ in the Chicago area. That was amazing! No place has quite come close yet. :(
Post a Comment