11/5/08

It's time to chaaaaaaa-n-ge

okay so it's hard to channel peter brady via the blog.

I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed in the way the election turned out in some ways and hopeful/optimistic in others.

I actually didn't realize their was as much of a politic-ky brouhaha going on in newport and the mayor and a couple of city council members were replaced yesterday. I admit a little with how I voted in that particular election was to count the number of lawn signs on the way to the polling place and then consider the idea that there really has been a downslide turn to newport in the last several years so why not change? Apparently either a lot of people did the same thing as I did or they too want change.

I watched the concession speech and the acceptance speeches by both McCain and Obama. I thought they both had excellent poise and a heart for what they are called to do. McCain almost made me cry just by his almost humble and simple message.

Obama has also amazed me with his ability to speak. He is very talented. I know it's an historic moment and maybe I will be considered some sort of racist for saying this but by the end of the evening I was a little tired of hearing about the bradley effect about the voter turnout by race. It just almost makes the point that if you didn't vote for Obama then obviously you must be racist. I just found that a little annoying.

I also don't wonder if change happens because people just vote for change without considering what that change even is. As if anything different will be better than what currently is in place.

I was also suprised that the AlFranken/Coleman race ended up being as close as it was - its curious with the number of "poles" that completely called that race incorrectly and for now it looks like we won't have a senator for a while.

One thing while I was reading up on who to vote for the night before the election was one of the judges who was running was running mostly because he was concerned that minnesota was taking the right of the public to vote for judical seats and instead will appoint them. I really think that he has this idea that even though the 1% of the voting public probably knows anything about a judge that that is reason enough to keep the ability to be elected. I don't doubt that either people just vote for the incumbent, or maybe just look at what name looks more judicial...I could be wrong and maybe like me they all went to as many websites as possible looking for information about the candidates on the eve before the election. Even then, I didn't find all that much about the judges.

I did rather appreciate on of our council people's get out the vote advertisment...just on colored paper...a huge smiley face - it said don't worry...smiley face....vote for Hansen. I appreciated that smiley face but seriously - did I remember who he was when I got to the polls...nah...

sometimes change is good...sometimes it even happens because people knew how they were voting, I don't wonder though how many times our nation's politcs change merely because apathy just makes it so?

No comments: