11/17/08

Home Sweet Home

My brother Jerry bought his first home today. Okay, so he signed his life away to the bank but there's something amazing about the idea of him actually owning a home. I am really happy for him. When I spoke to him tonight apparently he had finished spackling nail holes and was removing some sort of decals that the previous homeowner had placed on his front windows. He had raked the leaves.

I haven't owned the homes I've lived in but I do remember the first night in each of my apartments. The idea that in the midst of the great wide world that the walls and floors and doors and windows were yours and yours alone is just a great feeling.

Even if there's just a jar of peanut butter in the fridge and a loaf of 100% whole wheat bread, that sandwich is the best tasting peanut butter sandwich.

There's a different cadence to your own home. You listen to the creaks and the fridge turning on. You get used to the sound of your neighbors starting the car. In my neighborhood it took me about six months to get used to the train whistles through the night.

Congrats brother dear....may the space of your home be warm with love and happy moments. May the work you do there bring dreams to reality. You deserve it, not just because you are my brother but because you worked hard to get there. Love you!! Can't wait until christmas to actually see the place.

No comments: