9/21/08

Do we really need award shows anymore?

I actually am watching football tonight and that's a rather sad commentary. Up until about six years ago I used to be one of those who either attended an emmy / academy awards watching party or at the very least got my notebook out and kept track of the winners.

This was something we started as kids. Mom would pop popcorn in our hot air popper and we'd anxiously await the show, hoping our "favorite" would win.

Maybe it's because I don't have cable and most of the winners are from shows on cable but this year's telecast needed a script AND a few more dress rehearsals. I think our high school talent show was executed better.

AND - while I'm on my rant - do we really need to give everyone a live stage for political commentary and drum up references to tv shows from the 1960's and 1970's. Is it a sign that the television programs of the last decade are too lame to do a montage? Of course they did toss in a Melrose Place reunion - now there's nostalgia.

The secondary opening with Oprah was one of the biggest setups to NOTHING I've ever seen. I also wonder what Josh Groban and his manager were thinking accepting the gig to sing tv theme songs.

Do we really need award shows anymore? Does anyone besides the networks really care whether someone has won an emmy? It's obvious even the television stars are finding the experience just a blip on the way to their post emmy party.

No comments: