Okay, so I realize that I've broken my promise to stay off the blog until Sunday. It's not even that I have all that important things to say but the almost 14 hours I've driven over the last week have given me ample time on my own...not connected so to speak. Although I will have to say that if I ever have enough money for frivolous things like an XM radio subscription that is high on my list of things I might consider. The bevy of talk radio and music offerings made the drive through cheddarland much more pleasant.
XM Radio for some reason makes me think of my years at WSU and all of those FCC / Broadcasting rules classes we had and radio production in general. Maybe it was because I spent most of my time flipping between channel 8 - hits of the 80's and channel 156 - Oprah and Friends, where most of the personalities also had their producers talking about the actual behind the scenes production of the show in the course of whatever else they were talking about. (Although boy, there was a whole hour where Rodney and Holly Robinson Peete were talking about potty training - now there's stimulating radio!)
I was also thinking about the movie Pump Up the Volume - not sure if you remember this gem from the 80's staring Christian Slater - the son of the new principal who has a renegade late night broadcast and eventually gets taken down by the FCC.
What made me think about this is there are a few stations on XM that I just don't understand how they get away with swearing and some of the stuff they broadcast. I'm not up on my broadcast law however I would think they are still under some auspices of propriety?
I took the long way home, traveling through winona and up through the small byways of the mississippi river better known as highway 61. That's such a lovely drive although it does add about a whole 1 1/2 hours to the drive (or for me, since I stopped in Winona...almost a day.) Sadly I still had way too much stuff with me so I couldn't roll down the hardtop on the convertible.
I've parted ways with the convertible this evening at the airport. Makes me wonder if maybe I should ditch practicality (I've always driven a sedan) and opt for a 2-door sportier car. The g6 just didn't have enough trunk space for as much stuff as I enjoy carrying however maybe something with a sunroof...
No comments:
Post a Comment