7/20/08

An Ode to Mom

This is my mom and it's her birthday today. So, to continue a tradition I started a few years ago, and because I'd really like to share with you a few thoughts about my mom, today's blog entry is an ode to mom...

I was driving home from work today and passed a sign that advertised a safety fair that my friend Angie sent her daughter to last week. One of the things that crossed my mind was the fact that we got to do a lot as kids growing up because we were fortunate that mom stayed home to take care of us. I know at the time I didn't appreciate it because I thought it "was cool" to actually stay at school for lunch instead of heading home for a bologna sandwich but I guess I never really thought about the fact that I never had to know what day care was like, because if mom wasn't there then one of my grandparents were there. We got to spend all day at the pool, which often meant mom had to spend all day at the pool. Dinner magically appeared at the table.

Mom was and is today "the magician". Back then someone stepped up to be the tooth fairy and santa claus. She allowed us to dream and if she could figure out a way to make something happen she tried. I think we take advantage of that to a bit even to this day. I try not to do it, but I so do appreciate knowing that when I've completely messed up or are feeling blue or want something specific for my birthday or christmas - she'll listen. She still coordinates Christmas surprises and dinner and tries to organize family togetherness, even if we don't cooperate. In watching her disappointment over the years, I think really she wants what we all want - to be loved beyond the edges and walls that we build to protect us from disappointment. Families should do that for each other and I admit that while I know our family loves each other, sometimes we hurt each other too. I'm sorry for my part in that too.

On to happier things...

She has love for certain musicians and last year, my cousin Arnie told me that I should share that she has travelled for miles to see Don Williams. Growing up we mostly listened to country music and his simple lyrics and laid back style is a fitting reflection of mom. She'd rather make sure that we were cared for than to care for herself. She just had one simple request - that we love each other.

She's probably who encouraged my crafty-creative side the most. On rainy afternoons I remember begging her to get out this "knitting" machine she had in her closet. I never actually finished any project I started with this machine - just made these long tubular sleeves. She made sure we were armed with finger paints and crayons and paste and paperplates. We went through dozens of paper bags and plates making fake flower boxes by gluing together two plates and puppets out of paper bags.

A few years ago I started rather enjoying painting sweatshirts and t-shirts and she always proudly wears each "masterpiece" - even if a few of them are far from perfect.

She herself enjoys knitting and in particular afghans.

She loves to putter in the yard and enjoys flowers and her garden which is a riot of colors and flowers. In the late spring she even loves yards of yellow dandilions. Her favorite flower is the daisy. (The kind shown here - not those "fake" mum daisies the florists sell.)

So in honor of the many years she's loved me and her family - happy birthday, mom. I love you and probably appreciate you more as I've gotten older. We surely aren't a perfect family, but I know we love God and each other and without that we'd have nothing. I hope you enjoyed your day and I'll see you in a few weeks to celebrate in person!

No comments: