7/17/08

Lunchin' the Skyway: Senor Wong's

Kay and I ventured to Senor Wong's on a lark today. It was raining and we were really heading through the skyway to Quizino's however we got to the escalator and she saw Senor Wong's and we decided to try it. It's a combination of Asian and Latin foods...and yes, their website does say it has some fusion food too.

I think it would be a fun place to go to after work for happy hour.

The first thing I noticed was that they use led candles in their candle holders and they were a little brighter than the ones I've sourced for the Alley (yep, I notice things like that now) but I guess I'm probably the only person who cares about that in a restaurant review.

I don't really like spicy food. And when I say spicy I mean that typically if they ask - it's a zero for me. So some of the things on the menu that I would typically order like cream cheese wontons had jalapenos in them...well that doesn't bode well for my spice meter.

This menu was quite eclectic. Pad Thai, szechwan dumplings, Chipolte Cheeseburger, Kimchee, Empanditas, Flautas, carne asada, and tacos. um...yeah...what?

Kay had the Pad Thai which she declared excellent. It looked good however it had HUGE pieces of onion in it which again would have been a turn off for me (and anyone I was lucky to be in a meeting with in the afternoon)

I had dumplings and an egg roll. The dumplings were filled with pork and shrimp and fried then steamed and were quite tasty...although the sauce had pepper flakes in it making it way past zero in the hot department. The egg roll was also quite tasty. Super crisp shell surrounding rice noodles, some carrot and cabbage and pork filling. The fish sauce dip wasn't my favorite but I asked for a small dish of their lettuce wrap, peanut sauce instead and that was quite tasty (and a few thousand more calories I didn't need.)

It was relatively inexpensive for lunch (with tip around $12.00) for a lot of food. I'd go there again. If I wasn't completely sold on going to quizino's.

*** stars out of five (could use a little ambiance and I missed a fortune cookie ending)

No comments: