7/4/08

Happy 4th of July Everyone. Tonight from the deck of my apartment I was able to view at least six different communities fireworks displays. Lovely. And I didn't have to fight for parking. They are still going on however it was a tad buggy out there so now I'm typing from inside my apartment.

Today I went to the zoo. I haven't been to the MN zoo in a while (Maddie was still pretty little the last time we went.) They had just opened the new exhibit "Russia's Grizzly Coast" and so I thought I'd bite the bullet and get out walking today. (Mostly too because next week is the relay for life and I haven't been walking as much as I should for the event.)

Anyhow. It was a lovely day. I don't know what it is about me and zoos but pretty much every zoo I go to features most every animal sleeping. Go figure that this exhibit was pretty much the same story.

Here are some photos of my visit


I still say however that as far as zoos go - I'd still rather go to Como Park. It's virtually free and has better animals and isn't so completely spread out. Did I mention it's free and actually has a Giraffe? Okay, yes I admit I'm a tad bit of a zoo snob. But c'mon, I realize it's more about showing proper habitat and zoos can't all have the same animals but I don't know - somehow when you go to a zoo you kind of hope for an elephant or a lion or giraffe.

I did appreciate the moose and the caribou. And the tiger was sleeping too.

The other thing that is slightly annoying about this zoo is the plexiglass viewing windows for the people. Mostly fingerprinted by little hands to the point of being a small kalidoscope for your viewing pleasure. And another pet peeve....tatoo artist in the zoo...

I know people have tatoos and love them. I'm not a fan. I never will be a fan. I just don't understand inking and encouraging children at a little age to draw on themselves, even if we did it via cracker jack temporary tatoos just seems like a waste of money. I wouldn't feel so bad if it was a face painter.

All in all it was a lovely day. A great way to celebrate this country's birthday and a free day off from work.

No comments: