I've been a member of Facebook for a couple of months. I mostly joined because our 20-year reunion committee encouraged us to get online early to "get to know each other".I've met up with a few people with whom I probably wouldn't have talked to ever again and in the meantime I've wasted a few hours with any number of misspelled quizes and innane applications that they have on the program.
So if you ignore a friend on Facebook are you really being rude? Am I being judgemental that I don't feel like taking the quiz to find out how truly Lutheran I am? I do have a couple of friends who seemingly love spending time on this site and while I have found the "social networking" part of the site rather interesting, if I'm going to spend time taking a quiz I would hope that the choices would, at the very least, be spelled correctly.
Does anyone really care that I'm heading to work or eating an icecream cone?
While at dinner last week in Denver I had a discussion with a few of our salespeople about facebook, myspace and blogging. They couldn't believe that I actually had this blog. The didn't see the mystique about sharing thoughts with the world. I'm not sure I articulated it correctly. I'm not sure why I enjoy blogging. It's not like anyone should really care what's on my mind. It is a rather public way of sharing life with bloghoppers who don't really know me.
I wander the blogs. Hopping from one to another I find myself following lives of people I don't know who might or might not know someone I know. I've followed the stories of vacations and trips, births and celebrations like some sort of soap opera. I get disappointed when my favorite bloggers go on vacation. I wonder what's happened in their life to keep them from posting.
And from this side of the screen it's a tad voyeristic. They don't know me. I don't know them but I do know a small amount of what's on their mind.
1 comment:
i read...and often pray for the issues that arise, discover potential new restaurants, and sometimes get glimpses into life at the Alley.
Post a Comment