6/7/08

Happy Birthday Brother Jer.

There aren't many people I can say I've known and loved for 38 years.  That's a long time to know a person.  If you didn't read last year's birthday tribute, let me tell you a little bit about my brother.

He's a little bit like the Comic Superheros he's loved since he was a little kid.  Mild mannered computer hardware technician by day.  Help you in a heartbeat superhero when the call goes out.

He's an Eagle Scout.   He's not the stereotype the world seems to have of boy scouts but rather he embodies the lessons he learned as a scout into the way he lives his life today.  It goes beyond being prepared and doing a good deed but he's a mentor to little kids and carries the skills of cooking over a campfire and caring about humanity a little further.

He is a comic.  We have very similar senses of humor.  Subtle things.  One weekend I was home to Illinois visiting I arrived to find my room decked out with a mint on the pillow and the phone had been revamped with buttons that said "front desk" "bellstand" "room service".  He came in and asked if my room was satisfactory.  

He likes visiting obscure landmarks almost as much as I do.  Our cousin Brian got married in Pampa TX a few years ago.  We arrived on a Friday from all parts of the country and the wedding on Saturday wasn't until 5 p.m.  So instead of sitting by the pool he pulled out a map and decided that a few hours away was the city of Lubbock TX and he'd never been there.  Did I want to come along on an adventure to see the Buddy Holly Hall of Fame?  Not only did we see the hall of fame but apparently Lubbock also houses the International Windmill Museum.  Fascinating stuff.

When we were kids we'd hatch these elaborate dreams.  One in particular was creating the ultimate resort at the Wisconsin Dells.  We talked for hours as to what that would be.  Go Kart Tracks and water slides that would bring you to restaurants.  

Happy Birthday Brother Jer - I do hope this is the year a few more of your dreams come true.
Love You!

No comments: