5/3/08



MOVIE REVIEW: IRONMAN

*** stars

I have to admit that I really only had a lukewarm desire to see this movie (mostly because Robert Downey Jr. is somewhat nice to look at and I wanted to see Gweneth again on the big screen.)

The story line was a tad slow for me, a really long set up but once the actual ironman appeared it started speeding up. I thought the effects were pretty cool, surely the iron man suit was pretty nifty (except for the face mask which was a tad creepy) and the storyline was okay...

Admittedly my brother Jer has every Ironman comic book known to man. It has been his favorite comic book character by far since we were 8 years old. I guess that's the other reason I wanted to go to the movie - just to see what the mystery was all about. It fit to theory of why Jerry loves this character - find a problem and fix it with some sort of computer technology. That is my brother personified.

Robert Downey Jr. was pretty decent and Gweneth played her role of doting assistant with a restrained believable grace. You can totally see Ironman 2 in the makes already.

The only thing I did think was that this movie again was not filmed with children in mind and yet in front of us was a row of 8 year olds and coming out of the movie was a few five year olds. Just because it says comic book, I don't think people should automatically bring their children.

All in all, it wasn't nearly as painful as sitting through the Hulk movie, or that last really silly superman movie but it still doesn't beat spiderman in my book. *** (three stars out of five, mostly for the ironman "outfit" and some of the storyline.)

No comments: