4/27/08

Went this afternoon to see Expelled (Ben Stein's documentary) and while I went with the intended task of learning more about the debate on Intelligent Design I also wanted to see the movie before commenting on it.

The movie brought up many of the same questions that I carry with me  and every so often pull out for examination...

How does God exist? Is it blasphemy to ask that?  He created the heavens and the earth...but who created Him?   Why is it not scientific to think about creation theory but evolution theory, which also doesn't have a clearly thought out beginning is scientific?

Is it that people don't believe the Bible is a historical account of things that really happened?

Part of what I find so challenging about sharing my faith in God with skeptics is that there's a lot of fuzzy words like faith, hope, love that you just need to define on your own and whether you put God in the center of driving those ideas takes kind of a huge leap or a small step, depending on how you look at things.  There are people I know that I don't know whether they will every believe in God but I also wonder how their lives would change if they did.

Which makes listening to these scientific arguments a bit challenging and I can see how if you need proof that a God exists to also prove that he created the world,  that somehow warm and fuzzy words from an ancient text and promises from a God that you just have never seen can easily be refuted as some sort of science fiction.

What's that verse....have an answer for the hope you have?  I'm so terrible at quoting the bible.

I can see how people can be swayed from believing with this need for proof.  But at some point, when I think of the eternal consequences of not believing - why wouldn't you want an eternity blessed by God than the alternative of hell if you may never in this lifetime be able to accept God without proof? 


No comments: