3/14/08

HORTON HEARS A WHO

I mean what I say and I say what I meant...I liked this movie, 89.1 percent.

It seems like whenever I've had a rough week going to the movies seems like a good answer. And today, I knew just the movie. I've always loved movies. I like the idea of film making, of telling a story - crafting it with words and images. I love cartoons. I love their color. I love those artfully written clever quips. I find the artistry of it fascinating especially lately with how dead-on realistic animation can be. If you see this movie from the first frame look at how realistic the raindrops appear on the leaves.

I like the fact that animation can also cheer across multiple generations. A few rows in front of me was a pre-teen, a mom and a grandmother - all sharing a jumbo size thing of popcorn. I appreciate that there were other adults without children at the 7 p.m. show. I appreciate the parents who did have kids there that they've taught their children how to respect others in a movie theater.

I loved the freedom of the giggles of the children when the movie went for the obvious falling and hurting themselves humor and in particular the little boy across the aisle from me who from the moment he sat down was just entranced by being at the movies with his mom. He exclaimed, "wow mom I can see real good here" as he rocked in his chair, cheerfully grabbing a handful of popcorn and shrieking with glee when the previews came on. He also clapped at the end of the movie which I remember doing as a child.

I had seen Jim Carrey hawking this movie on all of the talkshows (Oprah, David Letterman...American Idol - that was pushing promotion a little far.) and so I went into the theater with a little bit of fear that if they were doing that much press, that it might not be as good as Cinderella. Well, I'd have to say of the animations that have come out the last few years I still like Cars better however this was decent.

It has a somewhat scary villian vulture that they try and make likeable near the end, probably so that the kids don't have nightmares...it didn't really play to the Seuss-rhyming pattern which is why I didn't score it in the 90's.

The storylines of faithfulness, of this idea that we all are living on a speck, of speaking out for what you believe even when the world thinks something else and loving your enemy...are all very worthy. (And...hmmm...I think I've heard those themes somewhere else?)

They did make a slam at homeschooling which I thought was totally unnecessary. Oh and as Queen of the 80's music I laughed so hard at one part of the movie. When you see it you will understand why.

Again, I am amazed at the number of people employed to make a movie. I sat through the credits partly to see if there was something at the end but also because I just am always in awe of the different types of jobs there are in the film industry. They had a whole fur crew. A few people just in charge of feathers.

Anyhow...it's a short film...previews started at 7 and we were strolling out by 8:30...I recommend it. (And I already see visions of the marketable stuffed animals that they will begin hawking at Target.)

1 comment:

Nettie said...

I can't wait to see it. thank you for the review.