8/16/07

I tend to use tv for "company" but I'm a flipper, so it's sort of amazing that I've seen most of the episodes of so you think you can dance this season. I thought this season was somewhat anti-climatic and the finale and yesterday's show were quite lackluster.

I just don't really get whether the judges are looking at the same thing I'm looking at? I remember in high school I worked on the set of a few plays. Stage crew mostly. You are invested, you have relationship with these people so maybe you understand their brilliance a little bit better because you know the road they've taken to get there. And maybe because I truly can't dance I don't appreciate the nuances or distractions of sloppy footwork or limp arms.

So what do I base my vote on - entertainment. I know it's a show called so you think you can DANCE but sincerely - entertain me. Sure I'm more of a fan of swing or ballroom, I don't understand krumping and personally I think the choreographers were a bit too enamored with music boxes and mannequins this season however I do know what I liked and didn't like.

And c'mon - do they have to drag out the results on every reality tv show? Seriously I know they needed a costume change but that video on nigel and cat was just STUPID.

If you watched last year - didn't there seem to be more of a competition between Benji and blond spikey guy - brother of danny? Ah well.

Also it really is sad when these shows drag back people who thought they can dance but can't - seriously we had to endure the clips a few times leading up to picking the top twenty they don't need another two minutes of fame.

I know it's mostly a set-up to sell ticket for the road show but I just didn't think it was a good use of airtime to bring those clips back and I must just not be evolved enough - I do not understand what everyone sees is so great about that last Mia dance - skipping around trying not to slip on flowers was not my cup of tea either.

I did really like the transformer dance and the hobo dance and that "It had to be you" dance because that just is one of my favorite songs(although it is played at way too many weddings) but again, don't you kind of feel bad for these people who aren't good enough to win the 1/4 million dollars but you can fill airtime so we can play more commercials?

Alas, Sabra won and while she doesn't have Neil's swarthy camera presence and danny's skill she is a woman...and she can dance. So I give this season three stars out of five (still infinitely better than Big Brother this season and so much better than Hell's Kitchen...seriously Fox I saw Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares on Discovery channel last week and we really don't need another show with that rude British chef yelling at people - apparently someone likes it but sincerely I think it just continues to perpetuate this evil culture where people are rude to each other.)

1 comment:

Alesha said...

i totally agree...contemporary is not a dance style i get at all!! it seems a little too much like people just flopping around, rolling on the floor, and then flailing appendages.

Travis was Benji's competition.