8/8/07

I love watching dancing. I also really do like to dance, even though I'm terribly self-conscious and would rather line dance than couples dance (but really...there just isn't a call for line dancing anymore)

In particular swing and ballroom are my favorites to watch, although someday...maybe...with the right partner and maybe some better physical fitness I might attempt both. Ah, sometimes on a rare occasion I'll even enjoy watching some of the more contemporary dances. And anyone who knows me knows that I'm always up for a good broadway musical. Soooooo....

So You Think You Can Dance has been a great way to unwind after work on wednesday nights. While I have to say I miss Benjy from last year and the announcer reeeeeeely bugs me with the way she drags out her accent and says the word "judges" the dancing has been pretty good. (Of course I'm not nearly as ga-ga as the judges tend to be but it is an hour worth of entertainment.) There are a couple of girls that have spectacular bodies and hips and pouty mouths that make me think that they aren't necessarily getting votes based merely on their dancing. We'll see who wins next week. Heck I guess they have firmly embraced the idea - if you got it flaunt it.

Also the other day I was flipping channels and on public access during the day there was a "polka party." I think I've mentioned this before but when we were growing up on channel 26 in chicago there was this thing called Polka Party and mom and dad would enjoy watching it and I'd torture Pete and Jerry by making them attempt to polka with me. I often wonder if dance will just go by the wayside? Besides weddings and the occasional slow dance at a club I'm not sure all that many people dance for fun nowadays. At least not as many as used to dance back in my parents generation. We have home movies to prove that mom and dad would switch out the hanging ceiling tile light fixture for the mood lighting and invite 20 couples over for an evening of drinking and dancing in the basement. Does that even happen nowadays? Maybe it's just the people you hang out with that dictate what you do however even at weddings you see a lot of people swinging side to side but not necessarily doing the waltz or the tango or the cha-cha or the ....well you get the idea.

In honor of dancing here are my top ten favorite dancing or almost a dance moments:

10. Final dance sequence from the movie Center Stage.
9. Final dance sequence from Dirty Dancing (nobody puts baby in a corner)
8. Every 80's cheesy moment of Footloose
7. Barnraisin' dance from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
6. Girls Just Want To Have Fun...Helen Hunt and Sarah Jessica Parker at their dancin' finest
5. Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire provided they aren't doing a "dream" sequence a-la Daddy Long Legs...
4. Fame the tv show
3. Save the Last Dance
2. Dance with me, Shall we dance, Strictly Ballroom
1. The dance between Belle and the Beast in Disney's Beauty & the Beast

No comments: