I always feel really bad for telemarketers, having worked as one in college .. yep I was "Linda from August Max Woman is the Lady of the House At Home" - that's the cheesy thing we had to say...it was all mapped out for us on a computer and we got measured by how many calls we made in a night. I remember being told by the "full timers" that I needed to slow down my calling volume as I was exceeding their quotas and making them look bad and all I thought to myself was ...this has got to be one of many jobs I know I never want to do again.
Anyhow I bring this up because of Michael Jordan. Not the basketball player but Michael, the person from Wells Fargo that called me at 11:00 a.m. this a.m. I should have turned off the ringer on my phone but didn't and well...Michael was just doing his job. But seriously, if I really wanted to pay $5.00 extra a month for whatever it was he was trying to sell, I probably would have set up my account already considering the amount of e-mail and direct mail wells fargo sends about all of their programs. It's not michael's fault...if that even is his real name.
Some friends and I participated in the American Cancer Society Relay for Life this weekend. Some thoughts about it:
1. If you have never gone to one of these events you should attend. Even once puts into perspective with a dramatic visual display of truly how many people are struggling with cancer. It's a 6 p.m. - 6 a.m. walk to help raise money and awareness for the American Cancer Society.
2. You learn about people's lives and their journeys through adversity that probably wouldn't come out in normal conversation. It's not like that sort of thing comes up in regular conversation in a sort of "oh and by the way...I've had cancer more than twice" -- that just isn't the normal type of conversation starter. My friend Nick gave the opening speech about his experiences with cancer and his survival story along with the facts he shared about his journey and what the ACS has done and is doing for others really helped kick off the all night walk.
I'm glad I did it. I probably won't be a chairperson again. 'nuff said.
Oh except for this....WHAT is it about fireworks and drinking that makes people want to shoot them off at 2:00 a.m.? Maybe it was just the way I was raised but you just stay quiet on the weekend at around 11 p.m. You are kind to your neighbors who may have their windows opened and might possibly be trying to sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment