4/1/07

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately, I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die discover that I had not lived." Henry David Thoreau.

Okay so maybe I learned more about that quote from the movie Dead Poet's Society than my years as a struggling english major at Winona State. But still as a thought for today, that's where I'm going.

Thoreau had it nailed on the head - when do we stop being so surface level interested in this life God has gifted us and start deliberately sucking at the marrow? Where's the passion? Where's the fight for the cause?

Okay, before I get letters, to all of my relatives who have had to endure the thanksgivings with the folks arguing about who gets the neck of the turkey, I know this brings to mind all sorts of really bad memories however all I'm saying is think about it - wouldn't it be great to NOT wonder if the life you've been given isn't meant for something more and just go and live? Deliberately.

Today was a good day. It's always interesting when my ponderings get either torn to shreds or challenged and supported at worship.

No comments: