4/13/07

BlogHoppin.

So I admit readily that I am a blog hopper. There are several blogs that I visit daily. I don't know these people. But people I know have linked them on their blogs and quite frankly I'm fascinated by their ramblings.

You may have noticed that I don't have a blog roll on my own site. I've been trying to decide if I want to include one. It comes in handy for family to just click from blog to blog but I'm not even entirely sure that my family comes here to read my thoughts and none of them have shared their own blog site...so I must be the only one rambling on in my family.

If there's such a thing as experiencing a "blog crush" I might very well be harboring one.

I'm often quite sad when I blog hop and no one has updated their blogs. You mean they have more of a life than just rambling online? At times I feel kind of bad that I'm reading their thoughts, particularly on topics that are so close to their heart. I form opinions and think about what I'd do in their situation. At times I might pray for them...don't know them but it couldn't hurt to pray right? But mostly I just return to the ones that cleverly share their mind and everyday observation.

For the last ten years I've been going to a chat room on AOL. The chat room has become sort of a community. People have met and gone on retreats. There's a formalized newsletter. We know small things about our families. I've never gone on the retreats. I've submitted prayer requests to the newsletter and people know my first name and that I live in Minnesota. They remember what I do for a living. They know that dad has cancer and they pray and ask about Alex's health issues. We complain about the Cubs or argue about Bears vs. the Packers...they live in all parts of the country and typically from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. there are about ten random people around to chat with when you just have nothing better to do.

See that's my probably problem...having better things to do. Sleep. Cleaning. Work. The internet is fun. Maybe I am using it a bit too much as a crutch for replacing relationship time. But when you live alone and haven't "found what I'm looking for" it's a way to feel connected to people ...sorta.

Anyhow Having been burned by the whole on-line dating scenario more than a few times I'm a bit jaded about the "reality" of the web. You can be anyone or say anything and well, you can't be too careful. Blog hopping is fun. It's interesting to see what people are thinking about. Sometimes.

No comments: