3/4/07

Do you think sometimes life just gets too busy that you forget to dream BIG? And what does that even mean? Does it mean something you can actually do in this lifetime but just don't have the means to do so yet or something that is lofty that you probably won't ever do but it's one of those "nice to dream" ideas?

I was flipping channels this evening and happened across a news story on channel 9 about this guy who started a trip in Montana in a horse drawn carriage and is pursuing his lifelong dream of riding in a covered wagon cross-country to visit his first love who happens to live in Boston.

Click here for the story.

I started watching the story mostly because of the videography and also because it reminded me of one of those charles kuralt videos from the 80's where the photos tell the story and the reporter merely speaks to the edges. I love watching stories like that. Don't tell me every little thing, let the photos do the talking. Of course the guy wanted to simplify his life because he was diagnoised with cancer.

Is the thought of dying what makes most people pursue dreams more fervently? Is that why I'm sitting here wondering what happened to the laundry list of dreams I probably had at one time but can't remember? Because I think I have a lifetime left to figure out when I'm going to start pursuing them?

The cynic in me wonders what will go through this guy's mind on the long journey home? Is he making the horse do the entire trip back to montana too? Why did he start this trip in the dead of winter? Is it one of those moments like at the end of When Harry Met Sally and Harry says that when you finally figure out what you want, you want that moment to start right away.

Maybe busyness replaces dreaming? It doesn't really disturb me that I've abandoned some of my dreams, when you're young there's a sort of impracticality that comes with dreaming big and the real world. But it wouldn't hurt to sit down and ponder what my dreams are at this point in life because while there are a couple - like having a date before another ten years passes me by or buying a house, I'm sure I could add a few more.


VIDEO RENTAL REVIEW: The Guardian - starring Ashton Kutcher and Kevin Costner. Rented this movie this weekend. Jerry had told me it was pretty good and I probably should have listened to him and gone to see this in the theater. In parts it was kind of cliche Top Gun meets any movie Kevin Costner has done in the past where he ignores his wife in pursuit of his career. I also like movies that have narrators and this movie did a good job with that (particularly at the end.) It did seem a bit long, however it was perfect way to procrastinate NOT working on a Saturday. 4 Stars out of 5

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What's the line from cinderella - a dream is a wish your heart makes? Remember stopping at the cinderella well at disney and making wishes? that was one of my favorite stories from your disney trip.