12/23/06

Fa La AH... I made it. Sometimes my life is just one self fufilling prophesy. I overslept this morning and made it to the airport by the skin of my teeth. Luckily not very many people were flying American Airlines and the security line down at that end of the terminal wasn't too terrible.

Its sucha study of people at the airport at christmas. The person in front of me in security must have been obvilious to the four or five mentions of no lighters or liquids in your carry on baggage. He just threw the lighter into his bin like it wasn't any big deal and needless to say the security people made us all wait and he caused a huge backup. It didn't look like he spoke english very well and I'll give him that benefit of the doubt but really...catch a clue as you are walking through the maze of ropes that NO LIGHTERS means no lighters.

Then the talk of the airport and actually our gate were these two couples who were going to miami. The two women were dressed appropriately in brown velour jumpsuits and had on reindeer ears. The men however were VERY confident with their bodies and had on velvet shorts (imagine boxer shorts) and wife beater t-shirts. One was "santa" - he had a santa hat and red shorts and his elf had on green shorts and a green elf hat. They were hilarious but boy what was even funnier was watching all of the older women around us gasp when they finally saw what they were wearing. I didn't want to rain on their parade and I realize they were going to Miami but this is winter in Minnesota and there is a gangplank to walk to get on the plane that was at least twenty degrees and what would happen if the plane got diverted or...crashed...there santa and his elf would be with flip flops, and what amounts to underwear...kind of chilly for that.

I felt totally bad for the couple who was sitting next to me. They had never flown with their just one year old son before. He had a terrible time and was very restless on a very full flight. Not fun. She just kept apologizing and I kept reassuring her that there's just nothing you can really do...and you can't... they did everything right...had a ton of stuff to keep him occupied, a dvd with elmo movies, they had drinks and toys and well...they just felt really bad. There wasn't anything they could really do. Well I'm being called for dinner...let the christmas fun begin!

1 comment:

Mary said...

OMG I cracked up. Yuck VELVET shorts? Another reason to be glad that I'm single.