11/21/09

Album Review: Harmonic Distortion


I somewhat tongue in cheek wrote on facebook the other day that this was one album that I anticipated as much as I did shaun cassidy's album back in the 1970's.


We have a worship leader at church by the name of Brian Smith. By a completely outsider's observation, he's pretty quiet, fiercely dedicated to his family - particularly his three young daughters, and he's a wickedly good guitar player. (there's this vague memory I have from years and years ago that I may have heard him play the mandolin but don't quote me on that.)


Over the last several years he has steadily written music and shared with us at theAlley - the church we all worship at in Cottage Grove, MN. He has a low, gravelly raspy voice.


He has invited some of his most talented friends to join in this project, and for those of us who know and like him a little bit, I can honestly say that it's a fun project and it's great to have something like this to carry along on my ipod now. Who knows where this will lead but God has blessed all of these people with gifts beyond measure and we are blessed to share their talents.


My favorites


Your Plans - I think I like Stans electric guitar solos best on this song...he's just so fun to watch play that I can just envision what he was like in the studio recording this.


Relentless - we've sung this song in worship several times and the words are so appropriate to my relationship with God. When I wander - how amazing is it that God is there when I finally turn around. I know brian will probably hate this statement but - it's a catch tune to bop your head to - particularly the chorus.


Lose this Life - I like the soft beginning and the driving guitar that cuts in. The mixture of Paula and Brian's voice is great. Just a great canvas for all these talents.


When All Else Fails - simple. lovely.


Want to know more about this project? Visit: harmonicdistortion.org


1 comment:

Brian said...

Awww, thanks!