So I got to the airport pretty early this a.m. Now for those of you who fly NWA out of MSP frequently you know that mostly the gates take off from Gate 20-ish of the G concourse. For some reason however our lowly flight was scheduled for C10 and so conveniently upon walking past the french meadow bakery I grabbed a quick bite to eat (The french meadow bakery is a tad pricey however it is by far my favorite new addition to the airport.)
Oh before I got there, the security scanner person had to recheck my purse. For all things to set it off - my Eco-ville keychain. Yep that's a weapon. I don't even rightly think its real metal but alas, they didn't confiscate it so I guess it was pretty harmless.
I sat a started reading my book. A lovely romance novel. Small town christmas story...perfectly harmless. But just the day before I had sarcastically explained to someone that every time I'm on a plane or in an airport I always start reading a romance and typically that's when the priest with the full on collar chooses to sit by me.
Anyhow. This older woman - sat down next to me and got up and asked me for the time. She seemed very flustered so I asked if she was okay. She went on to explain how her flight had been cancelled the day before and she just doesn't fly very often but was concerned if she was at the right gate because it didn't show chicago on the sign. I confirmed that I too was on her flight and that she shouldn't be worried they would change the sign soon.
She and I exchanged pleasantries about the terrible snow storm and she then asked if I could watch her bag while she used the restroom. Sure. We still had two hours. No problem.
She returned and started talking to me about her grand niece whom she was going to visit and she said how nice it was that her nephew bought her ticket because Nuns don't have a lot of money for these sorts of things.
At which point I tried not to chuckle. Go figure that instead of a full out priest I am sent a nun. But she was a sweet lady so I didn't mind chatting with her.
It turns out the Cardinal of Chicago was honoring her niece at some swanky affair tonight and she was going to attend to see her win an award. This woman had just had cancer surgery on her breast for the second time in her lifetime and had just had a radiation treatment earlier that week. She said she was 86 years old.
She was a teacher for a long time at a catholic high school. When she started teaching high school because she was the only woman teacher they made her teach religion. She begged not to mostly because, she said, most of her knowledge was before christ (History is her first love) and anyhow she said she went to summer school to learn enough to teach and did so for a few years before switching to be able to teach history.
The gate agent got on the loudspeaker and announced that Chicago's gate was changing to D2. So startled Sister Jane did not quite know what to do. I merely repeated what the gate agent said and since we still had an hour and a half I told her I could call a wheelchair to assist her or would help walk with her to the next gate. And so she decided she didn't need the wheelchair and we walked.
She told me she has battled cancer 4 times and has had brain surgery and due to that particular surgery had to have her entire nose to her upper forehead reconstructed.
I could tell she was getting pretty tired. Luckily D concourse wasn't too far away.
We sat and chatted some more. She looked at me at one point and just chuckled - isn't it fun to just people watch at an airport. I have to say I agree.
Every trip so far has had a character like this that I've met. That somehow, by just being together for a brief few minutes, with a shared goal of getting to a destination, we bond and our time together leaves an impression and a hope in my heart that there really are nice people in this world
I hope Sister Jane has a good trip. With all that she's been through, it's a true testament to want of family togetherness to go for the day to see a niece get an award while also having endured so much over the course of the last several years. Make me hope that I will still have enough energy to do that if God blesses me to be 86 years old. Sister jane - is my illustration of joy to this world today.
No comments:
Post a Comment