9/23/08

It's beginnin' to look

Okay, in my past life I was an assistant customer service manager at Filene's Basement in the Chicago area. We had edicts to put out various items with a sure and certain deadline. Back then Christmas had to go up by Nov. 1st.

Today I was riding the escalator in Macy's in downtown St. Paul to the 1st floor. Low and behold it's a christmas wonderland down there. I'm not sure when it went up but not only was it up in all of it's glory but there were at least two or three people wandering around the glitter trees carrying several purchases and loading their arms with more than a few ornaments.

Retail I'm sure will have a dismal year this year if the economy is anything to judge it by. HOWEVER I just believe that unless you are a store that only sells christmas items (like the cute christmas store in Long Grove, IL) you should wait until at least November before sharing them with the world.

The trees were pretty and I do love a bunch of sparkly things. I did appreciate that it wasn't all glitz but they also had nativity sets out as well. I'm sure any number of retail giants will explain to me why it's necessary for the trees to go up by September 20th but really I think it's fa-la-la-lame.

No comments: