7/6/08

Today is my godmother's birthday. Her name is Waltraut (we call her Tante Violet and in the last several years I've taken to just calling her godmother) and she is my mom's sister.

For as long as I've known her she's lived about a mile away from our house in Illinois. She has two kids, several grandkids and has been a caregiver to her alcoholic husband which can't have been easy throughout the years.

Her house was the first two story I ever knew. Most everyone we knew has just a simple ranch. Her house has all these little staircases to get to the kitchen, dining room and front parlor...so does that make it a split level? She has what can be deemed a front parlor. For many years we only came in this room at christmastime. Remember Everyone Loves Raymond and Marie's couch with the plastic covering? They had that...they might still have it ...it's been awhile since we've had christmas there. There is a certain crinkle sound to that sort of plastic that I will forever equate to her couch.

For many years she'd call me up near christmastime and ask me to try and pick up something nice to surprise mom.

I can only hope that Pete and Jerry and I can have as close of a relationship as my mom has with her sister. Now, mind you I won't be calling them three times a day to talk about what was on television or ask them to head to Kohl's however there is a sense of family between my mom and her sister that I really don't see shared throughout much of our family and I'm as much to blame.

She's one of those people who can't seem to sit still. She has to be always moving. Nervous energy. I'd post a photo of her however she has this thing about photos (even worse than I do) and really doesn't like them. I resepect that. You don't need to constantly be captured on film to be a part of a family.

She's a worrier. If there is a championship for worrying she would win it. Even today when I called her she had to bring up the idea that mom and her have obviously been discussion and that is my up and coming trip to Illinois in a few weeks.

They both want me either to fly or rent a car. Both of which would be expensive and not exactly in my budget. I had to chuckle though because she worded the conversation exactly as mom did the night before so I can't help but think that those two have been talking about it. Of course they have, that's what they do.

I love her dearly. Even though I worry about her as well. It's not an easy life she's chosen and she doesn't seem to have a lot of moments of joy. Can a person live that way for years and not have it effect their spirit? So of any wish I have for her. . . I wish her that. JOY.

Happy birthday, godmother.

No comments: