I stopped by the Friends In Need Foodshelf in St. Paul Park late this afternoon. As I didn't want to upset the system I stood in line with the rest of the people there so that I could talk to the director about donating some excess water we had leftover from the Relay for Life. I didn't know if they would take the water, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.
No one around me really wanted to talk so I stood there observing both the volunteers and the people who were there...the process. And I have to say, if I had time (they are only open on Tuesdays until 6 p.m.) I'd be all over volunteering there. (There's joy in the pseudo-grocery shop they have there and helping people select or put things in their car would be kind of neat.) It's set up like a mini grocery store and watching people select the foodstuffs they need and just interact with the volunteers was both heartbreaking and a bit hopeful. It was more heartbreaking for me to watch a couple of the tired volunteers. I'm sure they had a long day and there are rules to follow. It was hopeful for me to see the people who possibly were able to feed their family that evening.
I also was really impressed by the director. She obviously has a heart for people and really enjoys what she does. She participated in the Relay for Life as a Cancer Survivor so for me it was really appropriate that we donated back to help the people who are close to her heart as well.
Of course then in direct opposite fashion I went grocery shopping (which I sorely needed to do as my own cupboards were a bit bare.) I decided to go to Walmart Supercenter in Hastings to check out their prices and food selection (I was there on Friday picking up hot dog buns they donated for the Relay and I hadn't really been there since they opened the grocery section.) I have to say I liked it. Pretty decent prices (I know Arnie, I'm probably killing you by shopping at the EVIL mega-corporation but they did make a donation to our Relay so they can't be all that bad.)
Anyhow, I got home and looked at my somewhat full cupboard and thanked God for the bounty that I have and for the people who have not I hope they find a place like Friends In Need Foodshelf to help them through their tough time.
DECK THE HALLS UPDATE...day???? They poured the "footings" for the decks today. YAY! That might mean construction might conceivably start soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment