6/9/07

Movie Review: Ocean's 13

Okay, I admit to having a somewhat overblown attraction to George Clooney. I also really enjoyed, Ocean's 11 (Ocean's 12 was lame) and as the movie reviews said that this movie was more in the spirit of Ocean's 11, it went to to the head of my list of must-see movies this week.

And I'd say, it was an enjoyable and relatively inexpensive way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Do you have to see the movie on the big screen...probably not. Will any of the actors run away with academy awards...probably not. But if you were like me, part of what I enjoyed a lot about Ocean's 11 was the sheer...how in the world did they think about that and get away with it? Ocean's 11 had more of those scenarios but I still think they did a good job.

There were a few distractions...they did this stupid nose disguise with Linus' character that I guess in reading the other views was actually a gag for the director but sincerely it was so distracting I sort of concentrated on the nose and not at all what Matt Damon was saying.

Also - there was no purpose at all to Ellen Barkin's character. It's almost as if they said, geez we need a woman in this movie and added the subplot to her character. Lame. Totally unnecessary to the storyline.

And finally, while clooney and crew didn't really deliver rivetingly out of the ordinary performances, I didn't once look at my watch. Brad Pitt had a pretty good character as a seismotologist and I will say that as a person who has studied bedbugs entirely too much thanks to Eco-ville - it seems slightly implausible to me that after seeing all of the bed bugs that the hotel reviewer would choose to grab a blanket and sleep on a chair...but that's just me being logical again, and we know movies aren't very logical sometimes.

There were some cinematography choices that made me a bit dizzy. All in all I give it a B-

And spending two+ hours staring at these fine men isn't a bad way of spending a saturday afternoon.

No comments: